The Immaculate Heart of Mary Church of Toto was originally a chapel located on the central ridge of the village.
Father James A. Quinn, a Dominican priest, was the chaplain of the Fifth Field (U.S. Marine Battalion) when he assumed the spiritual care of the community. He was succeeded by Father Romuald Philbin of the Diocese of St. Augustine and Father Joseph Balgenorth of the Congregation of La Salette. Father Balgenorth was responsible for building the chapel, a tent structure, on the property of the late Tun Ignacio Martinez.
In August, 1946, the Very Rev. Raymond Demers, OFM, Cap., arrived on Guam and was given charge of Toto and Anigua as chapels attached to the Agana parish. Soon after he began working in the mission, a typhoon hit the island which destroyed the tent structure. Father Raymond obtained permission from the colonel of Fifth Field to use an abandoned thatched roof building at the entrance of the village, which today belongs to Jose Camacho Borja (dec.) and Leonora Castro Borja. The thatched roof building became known as the Immaculate Heart of Mary Chapel.
Father Paul Toshick, OFM, Cap., replaced Father Raymond on January 1947. Father Julius Sullivan, OFM, Cap., came to replace Father Paul in March 1947. Father Julius was responsible for building a new chapel and the former chapel was converted to a recreation hall.
By Easter of 1948, the chapel under the mango trees stood forth finished and furnished. Bishop Apollinaris Baumgartner solemnly presided over the dedication ceremonies which took place on April 27, 1948. The new chapel retained the name, Immaculate Heart of Mary Chapel.
Between 1948 and 1954, the Capuchin fathers provided for the pastoral needs of the village. In 1955, Father Juan L.G. Camacho was the first diocesan priest assigned to the mission parish. He envisioned the building of a new chapel and began encouraging the faithful to hold fundraising activities to fulfill that vision. In 1958, Father Juan was replaced by Father Vicente "Ben" Martinez.
In 1961, the wooden chapel was rapidly deteriorating because of termite infestation, and this inspired the faithful to pursue construction of a permanent structure. Father Ben proceeded with plans to erect a new chapel. The new chapel was built on Lot 144-B, containing an area of 5,280.78 square meters, situated in Toto, municipality of Sinajana.
On this holy ground stood a chapel building measuring 44 feet by 100 feet. The structural and architectural plan was drawn by Alfonso Escamilla and Raymond Sablan. The construction cost was $75,000, which was financed through the concerted efforts of the Toto parishioners, the mission congregation and the U.S. Catholic Church Extension Society.
In May 13, 1962, exactly 45 years when the Blessed Virgin appeared at Fatima in 1917 and asked the visionaries to have a devotion to her Immaculate Heart, the parishioners of Toto mission happily witnessed the solemn dedication of the new and beautiful chapel by Bishop Apollinaris W. Baumgartner.
On Dec. 23, 1990, Typhoon Russ hit the island of Guam. Compared to Typhoon Pamela of 1976, Russ did terrible damage to houses and small establishments. The 28-year-old Immaculate Heart of Mary Church was stripped off its right wing tin roofing. Barely a year after, another supertyphoon (Yuri) hit Guam which resulted in further destruction of the church. Since December 1990, all religious services were being held in the parish social hall.
The pastor, together with the parishioners, met and discussed plans on the ways and means to rebuild the church. In March 1991, a concerted effort was made to establish a campaign to raise funds by way of individual contributions, pledges, raffle tickets and breakfast sales. During this process, Father Simeon Balmeo requested the Pacific Island Engineers' Corporation to prepare the blueprints for the reconstruction of the church.
On September, 1992, the blueprints for the reconstruction was completed and issued for bidding. Of all the bids received, Pacific Electric Incorporated submitted the best quotation with a bid of $330,000. With all of the preparation work completed for the reconstruction of the church, the finance committee of the parish presented its plans and proposal for approval by Archbishop Anthony S. Apuron.
The plans and proposal were approved by the archbishop and in November 1993, the reconstruction work began. The newly constructed church measures 75 feet by 109 feet. A chapel of the Blessed Sacrament and a choir loft were added to the reconstructed church.
The reconstruction of the church was made possible through the cooperation of the parishioners, voluntary contributions from generous people throughout the island, the U.S. Catholic Extension Society, and through the support of the Archbishop and the clergy.
On Sunday, Sept. 18, 1994, at 4 p.m., we, the people of God, especially the parishioners of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, again celebrated our living faith in the house of the Lord.
--- From Dedication of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Church and Chapel souvenir booklet, 1994